bbq
one of the things i miss most about NC is the barbecue. actually, i didn't eat it that much while i lived there, but i find myself craving it now. when i went back in october, i flew home with a 5 pound container of bullock's. people here thought i was weird. people here don't understand north carolina barbecue.
HOWEVER, the people at russell street barbecue understand! it's not perfectly authentic NC BBQ, but it's damn close. it's pulled pork and not chopped, but their NC vinegar sauce has just the right bit of kick... you can taste the pepper and the vinegar. it's damn tasty. (their slaw, though, is made with mayo. no no no.)
the hush puppies are good (though i had a hard time getting past the occasional kernel of corn. what's that doing there?) and the greens... whoa, the greens are amazing. we saw a spider crawling on the wall while we were there and offhandedly mentioned it to the waitress. she rewarded our bravery with a couple of free pralines. incredibly rich and buttery. wowsers.
i'll definitely be going back there. plus it's within walking distance of my apartment. (which is good; that's a lot of calories that need to be worked off.)
5 Comments:
one BBQ-related thing that drove me crazy on the west coast: the chronic misuse of the word "barbecue." when west coasters use that word, it almost never refers to chopped pork with sauce, but rather (any) meat cooked on a grill; in other words, a process, not a (very specific) product. even when they use it as an adjective--e.g. barbecued chicken--that does not necessarily mean chicken cooked with BBQ sauce, just any old grilled chicken! for some reason i found that absolutely maddening!
Coincidentally, just today I was trying to explain why NC barbecue is special to a Brazilian student. I doubt she'll ever get to Bullocks before she leaves the country next week (not that I didn't mention Bullocks), but she's been to Crook's Corner, so I figure she's had some authentic cuisine. Freaky--I don't even eat pork any more, but I am all testy about NC 'cue getting its due. ;) Amazing that there is something nearly like it in Portland.
i don't get NC style BBQ, and I live here. I loathe the stuff. And I will exert my right to call anything I want "barbecue" and even use it as a verb whenever I feel like it ;-)
oh man i could eat some NC BBQ RIGHT NOW.
Dammit......I wonder where I can get some in Atlanta?
Despite growing up in NC, i'm much more partial to Kansas City style BBQ. Which is nowhere to be found in Portland, at least not that we've found yet. We tried Russell St and it was ok, but not as amazing as we'd heard. We should probably go back and try it again sometime. Maybe it was an off night.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home