woosh
a co-worker just stopped by the studio to tell me she was leaving for the day.
she: "this is going to start getting spooky as the month goes on."
me: "spooky?"
she: "well, saying goodbye is going to start to have more meaning."
me: *smile*
she: "i just hope you're on vacation when the big tsunami hits the west coast and everything gets washed away... if you're on vacation you won't be hurt, and then you can come back here and work for us."
me: ".....that's.... sweet...?"
1 Comments:
Oh, that IS sweet!
Some of my high school friends are moving from here to LA and it's weirding me out more than I might have expected.
When I was in high school and college, I made a big ritual out of goodbyes, and that was fine. Later, I had some other simple routine for saying goodbye, and that was fine. Now, I just don't know. And I don't know why it's different.
There was a time, ten years ago or so, when I hosted a small dinner for my neighbor, Ann, who was going into hospice car the next day. [I remember being surprised at how my uptight-back-then then-new-girlfriend was so comfortable at that dinner, with a guest of honor whom she'd never met before.] It was, I am grateful which was, I am grateful to remember, just a simple and pleasant thing.
Eventually, Ann grew tired so her daughter and I walked her home across the parking lot. I think my last words to Ann were just "good night -- sleep well". They seemed to much easier to say because -- even though I knew I'd never see her again -- she was sleepy and not really thinking about significance.
I'm very grateful for that evening. And for graceful goodbyes.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home