apartment life
i miss my old house, and how far it was from the neighbors. i had a big yard.
all of the neighboring houses here are close. really close. tonight i heard a couple in the next house breaking up with each other. they were standing on her back deck, which was probably 20 yards from my bedroom window.
they were a young couple. probably late 20s. "you can't leave me! i love you!" she wept. "i do everything for you!"
"but i don't want you to do everything for me!" he spat.
"ok, i won't then! just don't leave! i love you!"
lord, it was ridiculous. her protestations were dumbfounding. she was talking in circles, sobbing one moment and hurling things at him the next. was i that stupid when i was that age?? probably. but i hope i wasn't.
7 Comments:
owch.
blessings to them.
and to you.
Oh. That's very sad.
But Xta, there are positive things about being in close proximity to other people and houses. For me it helps me feel safer to know that others are close and would be likely to notice if someone was breaking in or if there was a fire.
Also: I think we were all that stupid when we were that age.
'course, not all houses are immune from that sort of thing, too.
my next house will be much more private.
My house is very private - and since there was a rash of robberies all over town (including my neighbor!) I have felt somewhat isolated and at risk.
I'm less freaked out about it than I thought I would be - we're just making sure everything is locked and the outside lights are on at night. Really what else can you do?
I'm with Minty--I never want to live where no one would hear me scream if I needed urgent help. In my current place, that's definitely not a problem--our house has windows facing windows in the apartment next door, separated by possibly eight feet, no more. In the summer, I know EVERYTHING about their sleeping and waking, their coming and going--and vice versa.
It does stink when the neighbors yell ugliness at each other, though. Be glad it's not a mother hollering horrible things at her little kids--that's the worst.
I have no reason to believe we aren't still this stupid, given the right circumstances........we're just smart enough to try to AVOID them better, I think.
This is what keeps Dr. Phil in business. "Just don't leave! I love you!" OMG!
I am leaving my late twenties on Monday. It's freakin' me out!!!!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home